Wondering about TikTok advertising? Are you unsure if it is the right platform for your business? Read on for some things to consider.
TikTok is a social media platform that has rapidly gained popularity, especially among younger demographics. With over 1 billion monthly active users, TikTok has become a viable option for businesses looking to reach new audiences, promote their products/services, and increase website traffic. However, as with any advertising platform, there are pros and cons to using TikTok as a place to advertise your business.
Here are some of the key advantages and disadvantages to TikTok advertising:
TikTok Advertising Pros
- Large audience: TikTok has a massive user base, which means your business has the potential to reach a vast audience. If your target audience is primarily younger people, TikTok may be an ideal advertising platform.
- Engaging content: TikTok is all about short, engaging video content. If you can create visually appealing, entertaining videos that resonate with your target audience, you may be able to generate a lot of engagement and interest in your brand.
- High shareability: TikTok videos can be shared easily across other social media platforms, which means your content has the potential to reach an even larger audience.
- Cost-effective: Advertising on TikTok can be relatively inexpensive, especially compared to more established platforms like Facebook and Instagram.
- Invested users: TikTok has a highly engaged user base, with users spending an average of 95 minutes per day on the app–compared to 33 minutes per day on Meta (Facebook).
TikTok Advertising Cons
- Limited targeting options: Unlike other social media platforms, TikTok currently has limited targeting options. This means you may not be able to reach specific demographics or interests as effectively as you could on other platforms.
- Short-lived content: TikTok content has a relatively short lifespan, with videos typically only remaining popular for a few days. This means you need to create new content to maintain engagement with your audience constantly.
- Limited ad formats: TikTok only offers a limited range of ad formats, which may limit your ability to create ads tailored to your specific goals.
- Brand suitability concerns: TikTok has faced some criticism for its user-generated content, which can sometimes be inappropriate or offensive. This may make some businesses hesitant to advertise on the platform.
Now that you are aware of the pros and cons, there are a few best practices to keep in mind:
- Understand your target audience: Before creating TikTok ads, make sure you have a clear understanding of your target audience. Consider their interests, behaviors, and demographics to ensure your ads are relevant and engaging.
- Use eye-catching visuals: TikTok is a highly visual platform, so it’s important to use eye-catching visuals and graphics to grab users’ attention. Consider using bold colors, animations, and music to make your ads stand out.
- Keep it short and sweet: TikTok videos are typically short, so it’s important to keep your ads brief and to the point. Ideally, aim for a length of 15-30 seconds to keep viewers engaged.
- Leverage user-generated content: TikTok is all about user-generated content, so consider incorporating this into your ads. For example, you can create a branded hashtag challenge and encourage users to create their own content around your brand.
- Use relevant hashtags: Hashtags are an important way to reach a wider audience on TikTok, so make sure to use relevant hashtags in your ads. Consider using popular hashtags related to your industry or niche.
- Target effectively: TikTok offers a range of targeting options, so make sure to take advantage of these to ensure your ads are being shown to the right users. You can target based on interests, demographics, and behaviors, among other factors.
By following these best practices, you can increase the chances of your TikTok ads resonating with your target audience and achieving your marketing goals.
Overall, TikTok can be an excellent platform for businesses seeking to reach a younger audience and create engaging, shareable content.
However, the platform does have some limitations in terms of targeting and ad formats, and businesses need to be aware of the potential brand suitability concerns. As with any advertising platform, it’s important to consider your goals and target audience before investing carefully. Be sure to follow TikTok advertising best practices to get the most value for your investment.